Friday, December 16, 2005

Cha-chiiiiing


"To overtip is to appear an ass: To undertip is to appear an even greater ass."

The wise words of Ben Franklin were echoed in the Post last Sunday in a piece on tipping etiquette, which reappeared in yesterday's Philadelphia Inquirer.

What really got me going was the quote by Murky Coffee barista Stacey Garrett, who said, "most customers do tip every time" but it is a "little disheartening" when they don't drop their change in the jar.

Stacey attests that the Capitol Hill establishment works really hard "to give great service and be friendly." I can veryify that truism (it is one of my last stops before I leave Washington DC for Prague and never return until June!) But Stacey even says, "When people don't tip, it feels like a reflection of the service." Sadly, Stacey, it's usually because I need that extra change for the soy milk shot.

Here's some tipping guidelines, according to Joe Heim's article:

Bartender: $1 to $2 per drink is customary, or 15 to 20 percent if you run a tab.

Coffee shops:This one is highly contentious. Some customers won't tip at chains, but will at independent establishments. Others tip only for drinks made by a barista, not for just an ordinary cup of joe. Tips range from change to $1 per beverage.

Delivery people: Varies according to what is being delivered. A few dollars should be enough for a small food order, while movers delivering furniture might earn a $20 to $30 tip.

Dining: A 15 to 20 percent tip is the going rate for meals, and the tip should be on the pretax total.

For me tipping relies heavily on mood, recent overspending, how much change I magically find in my pocket and oh yeah, the server's performance. Once again, Murky Coffee proves to hit national media wavelengths and I am proud. Check out Murky's site for buzz on their brand-new dairy-free Pacific soy blenders... and the Wi-Fi drama.

2 Comments:

At 9:31 AM, Blogger Carl said...

Thanks for reading philly.com. On Sunday, we will post Craig LaBan's summary of the year in food. I hope you like it.
Here are the most recent reviews:
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/entertainment/dining/
---Carl

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger the kitchenette said...

Thanks Carl! I'm quite the philly.com fan. And my stomach is growling already for Craig's take on Philly's dining scene.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home