Friday, January 06, 2006

Cakes, Life, Plastic Baby Jesuses


Cake seems to be on my mind as of late. After writing posts on the Red Devil Cake for DCist.com and Fruitcake for DCFud.com, I took a hefty slice of the Rosca de Reyes (or the King's Cake) last night with my family, in honor of the Three Magi King's Day (better known as King's Day). The holiday is actually today, and celebrates the three wisemen's search for the baby Jesus. (We also got a Jewish apple cake to appease my other half) Apparently the Mexican/Jewish bakery where we bought both cakes makes a killing out here in Southern California.

"Rosca" means ring, so the cake is shaped like a crown. The object is to get the slice that has the plastic baby doll inside, symbolizing a newborn Jesus hiding from King Herod's troops. Then you're responsible for throwing a party on the second of February, or Dia de la Candelaria (Candlemas Day), where one usually serves tamales and Mexican hot chocolate. Hopefully you got a heads-up from DCist, and knew where to buy your cakes in Washington.

To my dismay, my little brother found the plastic baby in his piece, and I was left with just the calories and somewhat dry taste. According to Mexican tradition, now he is supposed to throw the bash, but something tells me the high school junior has other things on his mind. Hint: girls, USC football (maybe not so much anymore), his Volvo and corn dogs.

4 Comments:

At 12:28 PM, Blogger Carl said...

When we lived in Bethesda, a French family in the neighborhood invited us over for a similar cake, also with a toy hidden in one piece. Sweet memories.

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger maverick said...

Hello,
Great blog...it sounds like your trying to get a handle on things and that is great! Gotta go, I'm looking for a diaper cakes for a baby shower I'm going to and I don't know where I'm going to find it. Guess I'll check out www.diapergifts.comdiaper cakes, I've heard that is a good place to start.

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger maverick said...

Hello,
Great blog...it sounds like your trying to get a handle on things and that is great! Gotta go, I'm looking for a baby cakes for a baby shower I'm going to and I don't know where I'm going to find it. Guess I'll check out www.diapergifts.combaby cakes, I've heard that is a good place to start.

 
At 12:20 AM, Blogger maverick said...

Hello,
I really enjoyed looking over your blog. I stumbled across it while I was looking for baby shower centerpiece to compare to some of the baby shower centerpiece I make. If you get a chance, go to www.diapergifts.com and let me know what you think. I will be coming back to vist your blog often. Good Luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home